I am beyond excited right now. I have my heart set on doing the Camino next year. I have been doing a tonne of research through these links:
This website is perfect to see what’s around the towns. An example is if you click on your preferred stage such as “St. Jean Pied de Port – Roncesvalles” it will give you a variety of sub-headings from Albergues (Hostels/Accommodation along the Camino), Dónde Comer (Where to Eat), Cultura (Culture) to Tiendas y Servicios (Shops & Services) in the locations.
- Camino de Santiago Forum
Through this forum, you can download relevant PDF’s to the Camino & ask any Camino question you have on your mind.
- Reddit – Camino de Santiago
Similar to the above, you can find & ask a variety of Camino questions that you are looking to get answered.
- eCamino – Camino Preparation
This site can give you a rough idea of what your backpack should weigh depending on your gender, weight & lifestyle. It also provides financial, accessory, food, clothing & spiritual tips.
To travel on the Camino, you must get yourself a unique passport to the walk. This is, if you wish to receive a certificate at the end when you reach Santiago de Compostela. You can purchase the passport (with a cost/donation fee of between €2-€5) through this official site: Official Camino Passport
I purchased this guide today & finding it truly helpful for when my journey begins.
The guide tells you:
- How difficult the trail is- In the top right hand corner it has a red figure meaning it is difficult. An amber/yellow figure means it is medium difficulty & a green figure means it is an easy trail
- How many kilometres (KM) to the destination. From St. Jean Pied De Port to Roncesvalles it is 26km.
- How many hours (roughly) it should take. With St. Jean Pied De Port to Roncesvalles, it should take you 8 hours. Keep in mind, you may arrive earlier or later. It all depends on your walking speed & whether you stop for any breaks etc.
- What facilities are located in the town. This shows up down the sides of the page. St. Jean Pied de Port has a railway station, bus stop, grocery store, pharmacy, tourist information office & albergues. Roncesvalles has a bus stop, tourist information office & albergues.