Recipe by Gordon Ramsay – Ultimate Cookery Course. Serves 4.
- 1 small Onion (Peeled & finely diced)
- 2 Garlic Cloves (Peeled & finely sliced)
- Olive Oil for frying
- 1 tsp dried Chilli flakes
- 500g Minced Beef
- 75g fresh breadcrumbs
- 3-4 tbsp milk
- 4 Ciabatta Breads
- 2 balls of Mozzarella cheese (Torn)
- Sea Salt & freshly Ground Pepper
For the Salsa
- 3 Tomatoes (Finely chopped)
- 1/2 Red Onion (Peeled & finely chopped)
- 1 tbsp chopped Coriander
- 1 tsp white wine Vinegar
- Pinch of Sugar
- First prepare the meatballs. Saute the onion & garlic with seasoning in a hot oiled frying pan for about five minutes until soft & lightly coloured, adding the chilli flakes after a minute or two. Place the mince in a large bowl & add seasoning. Put the breadcrumbs in a separate bowl & moisten with the milk. Add seasoning, then stir the breadcrumbs & onion mixture into the mince & combine well. With wet hands, shape the mince mixture into large balls about 4cm wide. Transfer to a lightly greased plate or tray chill for 30 minutes until firm.
- Put a little oil in a frying pan & cook the meatballs over a medium-low heat with a dash of oil for about ten minutes until coloured on the outside & cooked all the way through. Set aside to rest.
- Meanwhile, combine all the salsa ingredients & mix well. Leave to one side.
- Heat a grill until medium hot. Slice the ciabattas in half & toast for a couple of minutes until golden. Remove from the grill & sit the meatballs on half the sliced rolls, pressing them down into the bread. Spoon over any cooking juices from the meatball pan. Top the meatballs with mozzarella & place under the grill to melt the cheese. Once melted, spoon the salsa on top & sandwich together with the remaining halves of the toasted bread.
- Serve while still warm with any extra salsa on the side.